Most classes at Candler have a 9:1 student/teacher ratio, meaning you'll get lots of opportunities to get to know your professors.

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

We've assembled a few Frequently Asked Questions to supplement what we cover in our Affording Seminary section. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to send us an email or call us at 404.727.6326.

Does Candler offer scholarships?

Yes! In 2021-22, Candler awarded $6.4 million in scholarships to its students. As we talk with students about Financial Aid, sometimes we say "Candler scholarship" and sometimes we just say "scholarship" to refer to aid that comes from the school itself. If it were a scholarship awarded by a group outside of Candler, we would call that an "external scholarship"—and Candler students got about $1 million of those last year in addition to the $6.4 million of Candler-based aid!

Am I eligible for a scholarship?

There's a good chance you are! Scholarships are available for all degrees except the Master of Religion and Public Life program. While some scholarships are based on denomination, affiliation with a particular United Methodist annual conference, or vocational intent, most scholarships are open to all students. All scholarships are awarded based on merit and availability of funds.

How do I apply for scholarships? Is there a deadline?

Good news: Your application for admission doubles as your application for scholarships. Top scholarships are competitive, so give yourself the best shot possible by submitting your admission application by your chosen degree program's priority deadline. Applications are reviewed for scholarships up to the final deadline for each degree program or until funds are no longer available.

Do I need to fill out the FAFSA even if I don't intend to apply for federal student aid?

Yes! If you're a U.S. citizen or permanent resident you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to be considered for a Candler scholarship or federal aid. And you have to fill out the form every year to continue receiving aid. Emory's FAFSA code is 001564.

Do most students receive a scholarship?

Yes! 98% of all degree-seeking students receive a Candler scholarship, and 100% of Master of Divinity students do.

When will I hear if I am offered a scholarship?

Scholarship offers are made after the priority admission application deadline and continue on a rolling basis until the final application deadline. Those who apply by the priority deadline will be notified no later than March 31.

If I receive a scholarship, will I have to reapply each year to continue to receive it?

No! Unlike some schools, at Candler your scholarship is yours for the duration of your degree program as long as you maintain the vocational, GPA, denominational and enrollment requirements for your award. However, you will need to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.

Can I apply for scholarships after I enroll?

Because we’re committed to guaranteeing your scholarship for the length of your degree program, we only offer scholarships at the beginning of your time at Candler. But fear not! Because we’re also committed to making theological education affordable, we help students pursue external scholarship opportunities and employment options, increase their financial literacy, and find ways to cut living expenses.

How much does it cost to attend?

Candler’s tuition and fees are comparable to peer institutions in theological education, and living expenses vary based on individual circumstances. See our cost of attendance page for details.

How do I finance my education?

Typically, students’ financial support is made up of a combination of 1) a Candler scholarship; 2) grants or scholarships from outside sources, including churches, annual conferences and community organizations; 3) federal student loans; and 4) on- or off-campus employment. Plus, we work with you to ensure that no stone is left unturned in our effort to help you graduate debt-free.

What employment opportunities are available?

Qualified students secure work as research assistants for Candler faculty, in program offices or the Pitts Theology Library, or in one of hundreds of jobs elsewhere on Emory’s campus. Students interested in working as a Graduate Resident Assistant at Emory University should apply through the Office of Residence Life. See our employment opportunities page for additional information.

Can I enroll part-time and receive scholarships and loans?

Yes! As long as you are enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours per semester, you can still receive financial aid. If you plan on taking less than 12 credit hours in a given semester, you’ll need to get approval ahead of time from the Financial Aid Office, and your scholarship will be prorated accordingly. Make sure you factor into your decision that part-time academic work is charged at $1,091 per credit hour—that’s higher than the full-time rate—and all regular fees apply.