Children Playing

Frequently Asked Questions

We've assembled a few Frequently Asked Questions to supplement what we cover in our Admissions section. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to send us an email or call us at 404.727.6326.

Can I cross-register in courses outside Candler?

Yes. One of the fantastic benefits of study at Candler is that students can cross-register (with the permission of the registrar, professor, and advisor) in other departments of Emory University, at schools of the Atlanta Theological Association, and at other Atlanta colleges and universities. There are a maximum number of hours students can take outside of Candler, depending on your degree program.

I wasn't a religion major in my undergraduate studies. Can I still apply to Candler?

Yes! Most Candler students were not religion majors in their undergraduate work, though we do recommend a strong liberal arts education as a foundation. Students applying to Candler should have a working knowledge of past and present culture from undergraduate studies in the humanities and the natural and social sciences. 

What does the Admissions Committee look at when reading an application?

The Admissions Committee looks at several areas when evaluating an application, including academic ability, writing skills, theological literacy, church/community affirmation and vocational intent. The committee looks for those who have the potential to serve the church and the world in religious leadership and who will succeed in graduate theological studies at Candler.

Is the Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree only for students who wish to be ordained?

No! While many Master of Divinity (MDiv) graduates seek ordination in various denominations, others pursue doctoral studies or work in nonprofit agencies, businesses, educational institutions and other community ministries.

Do I need to take the GRE to be admitted to Candler?

No. If you have taken the GRE, you may submit your scores to us and we will include them with your application materials; however, they are not required. The Candler code is 5198.

Are there opportunities for study and travel abroad?

Yes. International study opportunities abound and have most recently included sites in Australia, Brazil, England, Germany, Scotland, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland and Zimbabwe. There are also off-campus domestic study opportunities in Washington, D.C., Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Recent international travel seminars have included trips to India, Brazil, Australia, Germany and the Middle East (Syria, Israel, Jordan, Greece).

Can I transfer credits to Candler?

Yes, most degrees allow for transfer credits. Academic work (1) from a school accredited by the Association of Theological Schools, (2) less than five years old, and (3) for which another degree has not been granted, will be reviewed and considered for transfer credit. A minimum grade of a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) is required for transfer credit. Additional stipulations apply for transfer credits. Please consult the Candler catalog for further information or contact the Candler registrar at or 404.727.0792.

Can I take a class if I am not enrolled in a degree program?

Yes. You have two options: For students who are interested in receiving academic credit, but are not enrolled in a degree program, Candler has a Special Student status. See our catalog for details. For those not interested in credit, Candler's Office of Lifelong Learning (OLL) administers a Course Access/auditing program. An application is required to attend a class, and fees range from $200-$300 per course. See the Office of Lifelong Learning page or call 404.727.4587 for more details.

Can I take classes at Candler part-time?

Yes. Though most Candler students are full-time, Candler students can both enroll as part-time students or can drop to part-time status (either permanently or temporarily) during the course of their studies. To be eligible for Candler scholarships and federal student loans, students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours each semester. For further information on part-time status, please call the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid at 404.727.6326.

Where can I find information on crime on campus?

Emory University’s Annual Security Report, Annual Fire Safety Report and Statement of Campus Security Policy contains important crime statistics for all of Emory's campuses; as well as, information pertaining to security policies, sex and gender-based harassment and discrimination policies, alcohol/drug and other policies, fire statistics, fire safety and a comprehensive description of resources available to assist the campus community. The report is available for viewing or in PDF format by clicking here. To obtain a paper copy of this report, please contact the Emory Police Department (EPD) at 404-727-6115. The report is published annually by Emory in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), and the Higher Education Opportunity Act.